Thursday, June 30, 2011

Multiple ways to multiply

When I was in grade school the way I got through math was to memorize it, get it, then forget it. I was not and am not great at math. Especially basic math. I would study to memorize it do great on the tests and forget it and move on. Once I got to older more complicated math is when it hit me. I DON'T UNDERSTAND!

This section in Math 1510 70, we are learning all the different ways to multiply. TEACHING ways to do it not memorizing it. One way that I started to like very much is:

Lattice Multiplication

I feel that this way of doing multiplication is very beneficial to students who are visual learners. You can see how and why it works without just writing a bunch of numbers down.

Another way to multiply that I found very neat, is called the Russian Peasant Method of Multiplication:

I feel that this is a fairly easy way to multiply on paper because it turns multiplication basically back into addition and subtraction. Which is a basic skill. I feel that if you have time and paper this method works just as well as the lattice method especially if you do not know you times table.

No comments:

Post a Comment